Dr. Aneesh Thakur, Principal Investigator, Laboratory of Vaccine Engineering, and Immunology (LVEI) is seeking an outstanding Postdoctoral Fellow focusing on Tuberculosis (TB) vaccine development to join his team.
Mycobacterium tuberculosis, the causative agent of TB, enter the human body via the airways. One possible strategy to generate protective immunity in the lungs against TB is by vaccination in the respiratory tract. However, little is known about how to design safe TB vaccines for administration in the respiratory tract and how to achieve potent airway
mucosal immunity against TB. The purpose of this project is to elucidate the essential design criteria for inducing protective pulmonary immunity by TB vaccines and identify mucosal immune correlates of protection. The project will combine approaches in immunology, bacteriology, formulation, and in vivo infection models to achieve the objectives.
We are looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic scientist with the following competencies and experience:
Essential experience and skills:
• PhD (completed in the past three years) in Immunology, Molecular Biology, or another related discipline
• Hands-on experience with cell culture, mouse models, multi-parameter flow cytometry, and molecular
• Team player with excellent oral and written communication skills
• Effective organizational and time management skills
Desirable experience and skills:
• Experience in animal experimental trials
• Experience in the isolation and digestion of murine tissues as well as cell isolation and phenotypic analysis
• Experience in in vitro transcription and RNA purification
Experience working with biosafety level 3 pathogens is an asset but not required. The selected candidate will have the
opportunity to be trained in world class containment level 3 facilities and at Vaccine Development Centre, the GMP
vaccine manufacturing facility at VIDO.